Monday, May 24, 2010

Mean Girls vs Good Citizenship Awards


I was thinking today about my granddaughter who is celebrating her 12th birthday. Initially my thoughts were worries for her and the scary world of the pre-teen. As a young girl one of the biggest suppossed threats is the dreaded "mean girl". Oh, if I could only spare her the trauma of dealing with these hormonal terrors. But sadly, that is impossible. This is a world she will have to navigate on her own. So, I can't protect her, but maybe I can encourage her to see past the nastiness.

As I was reflecting on my past childhood run-ins, I have the advantage of time and have been witness to some of the outcomes. I now know that the "mean girl's" lives have been mostly filled with chaos and disappointments. I believe that the ability to resist "meanness" will spare you from the heartbreaks suffered by the "mean" crowd. True love, professional success, and lifelong friendships will be the rewards of kindness. Ephesians 5:2 says And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. Life will be more stable, secure, and happy because you show his love and goodness.

Sweet grandbaby, last week we were all so proud as we watched you receive your 6th grade citizenship award. Please look behind the act of the "mean girl", love her, pray for her, and don't try to be her or a part of her world. She has chosen a path that won't lead to happiness. You are lovely, kind, and generous, and good things are in store for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment