Thursday, November 15, 2012

Give me “Your” Eyes

Do people annoy you?  They do me.  Like today, I was in line ordering my burrito bowl when the guy puts black beans in my bowl.  I didn’t want black beans, I wanted pinto beans.  And when I told him that he didn’t ask which beans I wanted, he was annoyed with me because he had to start over with a new bowl.  I just wanted to lash out and set the guy straight.

Antique Cannon


And then the other day…

Since the storm I've had to go to the laundry mat, always a fun time. Innocently, I removed a plastic bag from one of those carts so I could move my clothes from the washer area to the dryers. This old man came around the corner and really gave me the business for taking "his" cart. He was furious! I really wanted to give a piece of my mind right back to him, but I didn't. I just removed my clothes and gave him his cart.

Antique Cannon inscription


Later as I was putting my clothes in the car the old guy came up to me and apologized. He told me how he had been having a really bad day and he was sorry for lashing out at me. We smiled at each other and I shook his hand and told him it was OK, I understood. It was such a tender moment that I will probably never forget. I am thankful for that moment.

antique cannon shape


But here’s the thing.  I could be proud of myself for holding my tongue and not saying what’s on my mind.  That’s not good enough. I want to do better; I can’t be proud of my behavior.  I yearn to overcome my natural tendencies which make me want to lash out.  It’s a struggle. I want to always show and live with compassion and love.  That’s what I want to do. That’s what Jesus did when he died for sinners; such as me.

Cannon pointed on valley


I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galations 2:20 NIV




2 comments:

  1. So true. I find myself testing how the words sound in my mind before they are blurted out in the heat of the moment. . .but later will come one of those days when someone will feel the wrath of those emotions that have been pinned up. . .so sad. I guess we all have days just like the old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old man...did you realize what you said?
      Ironic.

      Delete