Thursday, February 14, 2013

Where did you say you were? Oklahoma?


I’m in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I am working. 
I did not know that I would ever say that, but I did.  I’m in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma working.
I was given another opportunity to do an inspection job and what was to be a two week assignment, has turned into almost a month.  While there hasn’t been much time for being an OKC tourist, I have been able to take the occasional quick snapshot of the surroundings.
565602_4063689158526_593839381_n
Lord keep me always tuned in to the beauties that surround me. 
566134_4063689358531_103161813_n
And I was surrounded ya’ll.  I’m out here trying to work, and these rather nice little Oklahoma steers wanted to mess up our ditches.  Ditches that, if they were successful in trashing, we would have to re-dig.  Ain’t nobody got time for that.  Sorry, I just love that video, remember?
710828_4063854482659_860523708_n
The closer they got, the more I knew we were headed for a showdown.  But first I wanted to brush their hair.  I may be on a construction site for a pipeline installation, but I’m still Mama wanting to brush the babies’ hair and wash the sleepy out of their eyes.   Nevertheless, I couldn’t lose sight of the seriousness of the situation and the regrettable reality that it was my assignment at that moment to keep these curious trampling steers out of our dig. 

710980_4063751480084_874803023_n
This was the last photo taken as they realized that I was intent on winning and serious about my job. See their little rear ends as they walked away.  Except for #72.  He took a little more convincing.  I had the same look on my face, same squinty eyes, same I mean business look; I wish I had a picture to show you.
oklahoma morning trees
Mornings on the right of ways were sometimes so beautifully breathtaking.  I was standing here with a cup of Circle K coffee thinking how blessed I am to see a new part of the country.  Oklahoma, the land of Will Rogers the Oklahoma American cowboy, humorist, and social commentator.
566178_4161548684953_1056996396_n
I looked up his quotes while I’ve been here.  This is one of my favorites.
Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today. 
Will Rogers

2 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT quote!! Love that man. Another good one is "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." So are you enjoying your stay?? I gather you work in the oil industry, my husband does too, SORT of. How weird would that be if you two crossed paths. please take care, and stay in touch if you want a "local" friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy that's a good one! Yessiree, gotta keep moving. I would love a local friend. My niece is stationed here so I've been able to see her on the weekend, but spend a lot of time just hanging out in my hotel room. I do the occasional assignment for my brother when he needs an extra person. It allows me to do the other things I love the rest of the time. I'll message you, when I know if I am going to have some free time. I may be going home in a couple of days. You take care too!

    ReplyDelete