Monday, April 1, 2013

Old School Easter Sunday


Perfect boiled Eggs
What you are looking at here, are 18 perfectly boiled eggs.  How do you say boiled?  I say “bold” eggs, unless I’m trying to fit in with people who say boiled.  I got the recipe for these perfectly boiled eggs from my friend Tim Bridges.  Thanks, Tim.  This also means that they peeled perfectly too.  I’m not kidding you.  Perfect!
paper punches
I wanted to come up with a fun way to die the eggs for my grandkids.   Having all these old paper punches, I thought it would be a good plan to punch out shapes using painter's tape.  The kids could then put the stickers on the eggs, die them, and have white shapes left on the eggs once the stickers were removed.  I’ve had good ideas before, but this wasn’t one of them.
Easter Eggs
Yeah, it didn’t quite work like I had imagined.  The painter's tape doesn’t like to be wet.  Painter's tape needs to be dry to be aggressive and adhere well to surfaces.  It gets all nervous in water and then loses it’s ability to stick.  We’ll be more sensitive to the quirks of painter's tape in the future.  Yes, we will.
not so perfect dyed eggs old welcome
We stuck butterflies on a couple of them and called it a completed project.  If you are wondering what happened to the three missing eggs, talk to Conor.
paper punch covered in tape old welcome
He is also the one that spent all his time covering a paper punch with tape, instead of cutting out shapes.  What is a Grammie to do?
Sonrise morning
I love all the ways that my family celebrates Easter and I wouldn’t want to change anything.  But, I know the significance of the celebration.  It is Jesus.  It is resurrection Sunday.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

LSBC Youth

Easter Sunday is always emotional for me.  I’m overcome by the unending, amazing grace of my Lord everyday, but more than usual on Easter.  This Sunday service my tears were roused by Pastor Joe’s impassioned sermon “The Scandal of Grace” John 8:1-11 and this moving performance by our Youth. 
056
Want to see some more pictures from our old school Easter Sunday?  I’m just warning you, it gets real ordinary.  Maybe even a little…well there’s a corn hole set involved.  You’ll see.
036
When you are almost 10 years old, and you’re a boy, your Easter basket should be shaped like a baseball. 
038
Teenagers no longer “hunt” eggs.  So not cool.
027
But, they will help their little brother find more than his share.  I’m glad Dillon didn’t see the cheating going on over here.
029
While the kids hunt, the guys apparently tell fish stories in their matching cargo shorts.  Erin and Kristin had on matching shorts too, but don’t tell Kristin, it’s Erin’s little secret.  She bought them because she liked them on Kristin, but thinks that Kristin will think it’s creepy.  Kristin’s were a different color, and they didn’t look the same to me.  I’m recording the memories; that’s my job.
030
Jennifer caught on a cell phone.  Wasn’t it her job to count the eggs?  We had over 100, and from the looks of her diligence, we probably left a few for the snakes. I just noticed something. Is that a bundt pan on a pole with an egg on top? Weird. Did you see it?
045
How about this little guy?  Last year he had to be carted around to find eggs, but this year he was on his own. 
039
Good Job Brett!! Now go crack it on your Mommy’s head.
073
For years, Easter Sunday used to include backyard volleyball.  But, now, for some reason, it’s plastic baseball.  I’m not sure if Grandma appreciated that we used her new citrus trees as bases. 
081
Good game, loser.  Good game, loser.
076
Conor played in a sprinkler toy, since GG and Papa decided to cover in their pool a few years ago.  Swimming, or should I say throwing each other in the pool used to be a big part of our Easter Sunday.
082
Grandma gave Pup a haircut before he returns to North Carolina tomorrow.  And Conor is dancing to the music in his head in the background.
068
And as I promised, there was a corn hole set.   And, that’s not a bad thing!

1 comment: